Innovative Treatment OF Metastatic Prostate Cancer
WHAT IS LUTETIUM (177LU-PSMA) THERAPY?
The treatment with radioactive isotope 177Lu-PSMA is an effective treatment method for metastatic prostate cancer. 177Lu-PSMA therapy is used when treatment options with other approved methods have been exhausted, have proven ineffective, or the patient cannot tolerate them. The aim of the 177Lu-PSMA therapy is to reduce tumor volume, the rate of metastatic dissemination and other symptoms of the disease.
HOW IT WORKS?
The amount of prostate-specific membrane antigen (PSMA) increases significantly in prostate cancer cells. If the prostate cancer has spread to other parts of the body, then PSMA expression will be detectable there, too. 177Lu-PSMA binds to PSMA receptors found on cancer cells, and radioactive isotope 177Lu destroys these cancer cells.
- Patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) for whom the available approved (alternative) treatment methods have been exhausted or are not suitable.
- Patients who have previously undergone the following examinations: PET/CT with PSMA, not earlier than 2 months before the 177Lu-PSMA therapy, which confirms the increased PSMA expression.
- A complete blood count with serum biochemistry, including ASAT, ALT, creatinine, PSA level in the serum, not earlier than 10 days prior to 177Lu-PSMA therapy.
- Information about the stage of the disease before the treatment, information about the treatments applied, previous examinations, histological results.
- The patient agrees to the use of anonymized data for research purposes.
- The decision on the appropriateness of 177Lu-PSMA therapy for each specific patient is made by the consortium of specialist doctors.
HOW IT IS PERFORMED?
177Lu-PSMA therapy is done as an outpatient procedure. 177Lu-PSMA is administered through a peripheral venous catheter. One treatment session lasts 6-8 hours; during this time the patient stays in the clinic.
The total treatment consists of 2-6 cycles with 6-8 week intervals.
Close and longer contact with people should be avoided 24 hours after the injection (it is advisable to refrain from flying/traveling/attending events).
APPLY OR ASK QUESTIONS BY FILLING IN THE CONTACT FORM TO THE RIGHT -
Our experts work in close connection with the urologists.